View Single Post

Old 01-20-2008, 04:38 PM
Default Re: HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THE "MAGICJACK" PHONE?

MAGICJACK sounds to me like a spinoff from what we have been using for six years now called 'Vonage' from New York. The only issue I have not seen any of you address and we found to be a problem here in TV is no 911. If you do use any of these types of systems, including Vonage your area for 911 is not available here. Vonage by the way includes call forwarding, caller ID, voice mail unlimited long distance, local calls and all the other extras for $29.95. Just another name you might want to check out. The only problem we have had with this system down here is with Comcast itself. It seems to be more heat related interferance then we experience in Syracuse, New York. When the temperature is really hot the connection lags not only on the phone system down here, but also the computer systems and tv. We have three computers running almost non-stop here in the house and are aware when the systems run slow and what a good connection is and what is not a good connection. The phone conversations lag so you are just a bit behind on every other word sometimes. Again, this is a technical problem that Comcast needs to address. Vonage doesn't have this problem up north.
My suggestion: If you are going to get one of the the internet phone systems also get a local service so you can have 911 service for this area and you have a number where all of TV folks can call you too. Hope this info helps.