Thread: Samsung fooey
View Single Post

Old 02-19-2015, 11:22 AM
Soaring Eagle member

We have a Sumsung LCD set that had the infamous capacitor problem. When it first occurred, they sent a tech out to replace the 4 capacitors on the power board that had failed, at no cost. I found this amazing as usually whole boards will be replaced. That solved the problem. About a year later the same symptoms occurred and another tech came out (at no cost) and replaced the entire power board this time. That did not solve the problem. He said the problem was with the main system board and gave me two options: he could replaced it for a charge, since it was not covered under the class action suit, or I could order the board over the internet and replace it myself. I opted for the latter and saved a bunch of money. We still have the set and it works fine but there has been a 100% failure rate on the electronics. Shortly after, our Samsung DLP set failed with what was almost certainly a main system board failure. We replaced it with a Samsung LCD set and that was been fine. We also have another Samsung LCD set and a Samsung LCD computer monitor for a total of 4 Samsung LCD devices. I believe/hope that the Samsung issues were during a relatively small time window and our current products will last a long time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt. View Post
We had a problem with a previous Samsung TV about a week after the warranty expired. They agreed to the repair however and it needed a part replaced. The repair guy said he had many calls about this problem and that Samsung was apparently using up the parts in the hope that most of them would be ok long enough that they were off the hook.
About 8 months later (after moving to the Villages) the same problem happened. I called the local guy... and it turned out to be the same part. He said he had a roomful of Samsung TVs that folks just traded in.
That's what I did. I got an LG and never had a problem since.

Samsung
Samsung Settles Lawsuit, Will Repair Certain TV Models | News & Opinion | PCMag.com