View Single Post

Old 02-19-2015, 07:54 PM
Default Alternatives

There are many good orthopedic and neurological surgeons in central Florida, and they all offer minimally invasive surgery (MIS), the new standard. MIS is always preferred if it can be used to minimize pain and recovery time.

I found Jewett Orthpaedic Clinic in Winter Park. This practice was founded in 1939 and has an outstanding reputation. They are the practice of choice for the Orlando Magic, the Predators (arena football team), and Cirque du Soleil. They have 25 doctors on staff, organized into specialty groups. The spinal surgery group includes 5 surgeons.

A herniated disk was pressing on a nerve coming out of my spine. The sciatic pain from the hip to foot of my left leg was pure agony and nothing would solve the problem short of a micro diskectomy. Dr. Gregory Munson performed the surgery at Florida Hospital South in Orlando. I cannot say enough positive things about Dr. Munson, his staff, and the hospital. With all private rooms and an attentive and considerate staff, the hospital stay was exceptional. Dr. Munson asked the admitting physician to keep me under observation over night, because I was admitted only after clearance from my cardiologist. Medicare covered everything.

There is a 5% chance of the problem returning, usually in 5-7 months. Having read some of the comments here, I have to think that at least some of those cases are the result of people failing to take the lengthy recovery period seriously.