View Single Post

Old 02-20-2015, 11:48 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
Well stated, but I don't know if it is possible for many people. I think one example of the problem is when the Republican leaders came together at Obama's inauguration to vow to do whatever they could to see that his presidency fail. They didn't vow to make the country stronger, or to improve their constituent's lives, or see what they could do to get some of their agenda woven into that of the Presidents. No, they vowed to do what they could to see that he fails, despite the obvious outcome that if the President fails, the country and its citizens largely fail. Noncooperation and obstruction is not a unique Republican tactic, but that was the most obvious example I could think of. As you can see on this board, a microcosm of the country, people not only disagree, but see evil intent and ignorance at work in the ideas and opinions of the opposing side. When members of one side (a super minority I hope) see the other side as "mentally ill", how can any common ground be found?
Actually, eloquence notwithstanding, this simply demonizes the Republicans, particularly their motivations, pretty much along talking point lines.

Also, if you read the book "Fourth Turning" it does a nice job in explaining the evolution over a multi-generational time span of how consensus is attained in any society. You can see the evidence of that on this board daily.