View Single Post

Old 01-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: For members who haven't posted.

I can't say I totally agree with mak and ouida (I'm not sure why kregski would be agree since he has hijacked a thread a time or two but whatever) because I'm not even close to that, but I do believe there are some valid points in his/her comments.

First, this site is just not for information about TV, at least I don't think it is. It is an online community. As such, hearing about a friend's vacation is important to us. Caring about our friends is important, both in life and in death. Joking and having fun is what made them our friends.

Second, there is too much hijacking. This is pretty common for newbies to forums in general.

A serious thread deserves to be treated with respect and not have kidding comments, no matter how witty the poster and readers think that comment is. I would say this was a pretty serious thread. Yet, comments that had absolutely nothing to do with why some have not posted were made. Not appropriate, not fair to this site, the administrators or the person who created the post.

Advertisers pay not just for how many views or posts a site has. They also look at how many people are registered. how many actively post, the variety of the posts, if the posts are their market territory. If posts are consistently hijacked, it means less people will post. More importantly, it means less advertisers because the numbers for the site will begin to dwindle.

Third, threads are frequently started in the wrong forum. Mistakes happen. No big deal, if the title isn't misleading, I can simply read the title and decide I really am not interested in this topic. Not interested, don't open it. Yes, that simple!

However, there is a simple solution. The administrators should move the post to the correct forum rather than left where they are. (Sorry, guys.) I'm going to assume this site is much like some others I've assisted on. Moving topics to their proper spot takes seconds. All you need to do is put a reply at the bottom of it saying it is being moved to X forum. The original post stays where it is but is locked. The moved post is where responses can be added.

mak, like many things in life, you need to take what you need and leave the rest. If you don't want the camaraderie, fine, don't take it. Those of us who do want the friendship won't miss you but we might feel sorry for you since you're missing out on some good times. To criticize the caring posts because they don't give you any information about TV is wrong. For one thing, they do show the friendliness and diversity of personalities in TV itself, not just on this site. We are a cross-section. Yes, even the curmudgeonly type like you are part of this group.

To complain about the constant hijacking is reasonable. It has been tried to be addressed several times. I'm not sure what can nor should be done. That, sadly, is up to the administrators -- it is a fine line they walk between not wanting to offend those who obviously love TOTV and its members by trying to stop their banter and keeping the remainder happy who want an answer to a question without a lot of silliness. :dontknow: Personally, I don't envy them on this one.

You really did have some valid points and issues. You also showed a lack of understanding of this site and its purpose. In the welcome on the Home page, it is said, "This is a free interactive community where you are welcomed to talk about what interests you and your friends." It is not just for people to decide whether they want to live here or have questions about what to do once here. I'm truly hoping your lack of empathy was not because you are one of those who truly cares about no one but him/herself but rather one of those things that came out wrong, that was truly meant to convey a point but not a true feeling.

mak, come back or not. This is your choice.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein