Thread: Rhinebeck Visit
View Single Post

Old 02-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Gold member
Smile

Rhinebeck, NY is one of my favorite places. We have been there a few times while living in NJ. We have been to the Culinary Institute of America for dinner. They have 4 restaurants there which are manned by students and instructors. You need to make a reservation at least 2 or 3 months in advance. This can be done online. Granted that the institute is not in Rhinebeck itself but is near.

We have been to the Rhinebeck in a few times and I have to say that there mashed potatoes are the best I have ever had. They must have used a ton of butter and cream. They were rich and creamy.

The most interesting thing at Rhinebeck is the Rhinebeck Aerodrome. They have shows every Saturday and Sunday and fly historic planes. These planes are housed in buildings at the site and you can get a closeup view of these planes. The earliest plane we have seen there was a 1908 French plane that flew over the English channel. I believe it was a Bleriot. On Saturday they have different flying stunts like when two planes are flying and trying to make the most cuts with their propellers on a toilet paper roll before it hits the ground. Can't remember some of the other things they did on Saturday. On Sunday they have a fake dogfights and the German side has a Fokker triplane which is the type of plane that Baron Von Richthoven flew. It was painted red. Most of the planes here were First World War planes to the 30's. No jets here.

Going to the Aerodrome is a great experience. These guys are amazing pilots and you can learn a lot while there. Highly recommended.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"