View Single Post

Old 01-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts
Default What Does The "Settlement" Mean With Regard To Recreation Facilities Management?

Today's Daily Sun said that a letter from the court will be mailed to all residents north of 466 explaining the settlement agreed to between the developer of TV and the POA, which sued the developer regarding the terms of the sale of all recreational facilities, pools and golf courses to the CVCCD. It briefly explained that the area north of 466 would have a board ofelected residents who would assume control of the management of the recreational amenities. (At least I think that's what the article said.)

So what does this mean? The developer, thru the Recreation Department, has done a magnificent job of planning, building and managing the recreation facilities that are so much a part of our community. Is that department going to be disbanded, at least as regards the facilities north of 466, in favor of a group of Villages residents who will assume control over the rec facilities? The Recreation Department is comprised of professionals experienced in the operation of recreation facilities and programs. Will the new committee of residents be comparably experienced or trained? What will be the effect on the quality of our facilities and programs?

I know the lawsuit achieved significant payments by the developer to assure the proper maintenance and updating of facilities over the next several years. That's a good thing. But if the lawsuit also results in the replacement of the highly qualified, competent and committed Recreation Department staff in favor of a bunch of part-time retirees inexperienced in managing recreation facilities and programs, I can't imagine that things will continue as they have been. Has all the complaining over residents being in control of the golf courses and pools finally come home to roost? Will we be sorry for what was demanded and litigated by the POA?

When residents north of 466 get their "settlement letters" from the court, I think those of us living south of 466 would appreciate knowing what the lawsuit has resulted in as far as our recreation facilities and programs are concerned. As I understand the settlement, the same terms will apply to the rec facilities and programs south of 466 after the community is built out.

For one, I'll be holding my breath. It's a done deal now. I just hope we're not disappointed in getting what the POA demanded and litigated for. I surely hope that the recreation that is so basic to our lifestyle here continues at the high level of quality we've become used to, or even better.