View Single Post

Old 02-23-2015, 10:52 AM
Platinum member
Default Millhorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a knowledgable lawyer.
Millhorn has handled mine since I came to FL. Mine is a "special needs" trust which simply means that if I die first, it specifies how the trust is to be used for my husband who is disabled and not able to conduct business. It ensures that he is to be taken care of and how. It also means that if he qualifies for any government help (VA home, for instance) the trust will not have to be liquidated. We also have a blended family and one child from each are to be joint successor-trustees. When you die, then the trust becomes irrevocable meaning that no changes can be made.

One of the greatest things about having the revocable trust is that you control it. Although our bank accounts, etc. are owned by the trust, you carry on business-as-usual. Even though your bank account is owned by the trust, you don't have to specify that on your checks, etc.

Successor trustees MUST carry out your trust wishes to the letter. There is a form that comes with your trust that gives them the guidelines on what to do. That is also what you pay your attorney for, as well. The first thing they need to do is to contact him/her for guidance.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."