View Single Post

Old 02-23-2015, 01:49 PM
n/a

Default illegal immigrants (continued)

This is part of a transcript from FACE THE NATION this past weekend. Bob Schieffer is the moderator and the Gov of Texas is his guest...

"SCHIEFFER: Let me ask you this. And I'm well aware of what you're talking about at the border, but you have got, what, 800,000 of these people that are in the state right now.

What are you going to do with them?

ABBOTT: Well, the -- sure.

SCHIEFFER: You don't have enough buses to send them back to Mexico, and I don't expect you can put all of them in jail. What are you going to do with them?

ABBOTT: Well, two things.

One is, the president himself said as these people were coming across the border that he would repatriate them as soon as possible. So, we need to see whether or not the president himself is going to live up to the commitment that he made.

The second thing is, what to do with those who are here, by the Constitution itself, is dedicated to the United States Congress, not the president, to decide how to deal with it. And so we need Congress to have the latitude to fulfill its responsibility to solve the problem.

SCHIEFFER: Well, Congress can't seem to get together and decide what to do. They just remain at loggerheads. In the meantime, you and Texas, you have got 800,000 people there. What are you doing now?

ABBOTT: What I am doing now, as governor for the state of Texas, I have outlined a plan that does what Americans really want to have achieved, and that is, I have a plan that will secure the border.

I'm going to add more than 500 more Department of Public Safety officers, more Texas Rangers, more technology. We are coming out of our own pocket, Texas taxpayers' pockets to secure the border and doing the job that the federal government must do.

The first step that has to be taken in this whole process is to secure the border."

Face the Nation Transcripts Feburary 22, 2015: Johnson, Abbott, McCain - CBS News

The link is to the entire transcript.