View Single Post

Old 02-23-2015, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I think more than likely they we're not what the OP thought. What I will vigorously disagree with is the sheltered and privileged description of those of us who are Villagers. My wife and I worked hard and made many sacrifices throughout our lifetime in order to be able to afford the retired lifestyle we now enjoy. Over the years we have donated to many organizations and charities, and helped out a relative and friend or two along the way.
We both come from tough neighborhoods, but hard working blue collar neighborhoods. If we couldn't work for and pay for it, we did without. Never, and I mean never would we beg, borrow, or steal anything from anyone. So no, we are not privileged and for darned sure not sheltered. Ninety nine out of one hundred help me requests on the streets are at the very least shady.
Amen! and Ditto! During my career, I saw more than one business bankrupted by gypsies, who claim it is their "right" to beg, borrow and steal, rather than work. In the early 1990's, the city of Spokane, Washington, was sued for daring to arrest the head of a "Rom" clan who ran a huge burglary and fencing operation. At the time of his arrest, he had more than $1,000,000 in cash and a warehouse full of stolen goods. His "family" did exactly as the OP described. There are so many agencies here that help the impoverished; the "privileged" Villagers, who have worked their entire lives to finally retire in comfort, support those charities quite generously, thank you!

I am sick to the gills of hearing Villagers called "fat cats", just because most of us lived frugal, productive, honest lives before retiring here. It's the story of the grasshopper and the ant all over again, day after day.

People have the right to do whatever it takes to make themselves feel worthy. That said, a "good deed" is diminished in my eyes when it is publicized or used to make the doer feel superior by disparaging those whose beliefs don't validate their act...including those who have achieved something in life through their own hard work and industry. BTW, the "winning of life's lottery" thing doesn't cut any mustard with me.