View Single Post

Old 02-25-2015, 11:19 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
how is the GOP going to replace those 35 permanent jobs that would have been created if this thing was built?
I admit I'm not as informed as I should be regarding Keystone XL. I guess I never dug into it too deeply because it was obvious from the outset Obama was against it and was conveniently utilizing various excuses of environmental impact and what have you so I never invested my limited time to do much research.

Having said that…wouldn't THOUSANDS of multi-year TEMPORARY jobs be created to build the pipeline? Roads, dams, bridges, railroads, sports stadiums, airports are all significant infrastructure projects with relatively few permanent jobs. Should those not be built because they won't result in many permanent jobs?

Also, wouldn't it be in our national interest to secure a reliable source of oil from our largest trading partner and arguably our closest ally, Canada? I understand the crude is high in sulfur, but it's my understanding we currently have refineries that refine high sulfur content oil with low pollution output. It hardly seems smart to ignore energy independence when it's potentially on our national doorstep. Perhaps the quality of this oil is not IDEAL, but it seems a better choice to accept a lower quality of oil than continue to be beholden to the middle east and hostile nations such as Venezuela. We've spent several $TRILLION in middle east wars of late, and many more $BILLIONS annually to assure the free flow of oil through the Persian Gulf at market prices. This does not include the many thousands of American lives lost and injured. God bless our nation's sons and daughters in uniform!

I honestly want to know why Obama and the majority of democrats are blocking this. Do those of you on the left really believe the "potential" dangers to our environment outweigh securing energy independence for our nation and all its people? Isn't the nation's safety the highest priority of our elected officials?

Thank You