View Single Post

Old 02-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Sage

This is a tough question to answer when you stop to think that whole books have been written on this subject. But I'll mention a few things that have helped me to get good sleep.

What you do during the day paves the way:

I find that a daytime nap can be a good thing to restore energy but it shouldn't last more than about 20 to 30 minutes. And it shouldn't be too late in the day otherwise it may interfere with nighttime sleep.

Caffeine: Some people, like myself, are slow to process caffeine. But even if you're not, try not to overdo your consumption. And remember that caffeine is in chocolate too. It might be best to stay away from all caffeine after 12 noon.

Exercise: This is probably the single biggest thing you can do for yourself to help get a good night's sleep. Go for a long walk. You can split it up if you like with ten minutes in the morning after breakfast, ten minutes after lunch, and ten minutes after dinner. In addition to that, you should do some weight training every morning (at home is fine) for at least 15 minutes to a half hour. And you don't need a lot of equipment, just a couple of hand weights. I have a whole routine that includes some pushups, deep knee bends etc.

Snack: Sometimes I'll wake up at 4 am and can't seem to get back to sleep. In that case I'll go to the fridge and get a small slice of cooked sweet potato, usually no more than a 1/4 cup. That knocks me out for the rest of the night.

Meditation I use this all the time to get to sleep and it seldom fails. Although, it takes some practice and self discipline. Basically, you just need to clear your mind of everything and concentrate on your breathing.