View Single Post

Old 01-22-2008, 03:06 PM
beartrack1
Default Re: What Does The "Settlement" Mean With Regard To Recreation Facilities Management?

Thank you Muncle and Another Linda for your posts.

As a potential home owner in TV, I am very concerned over this settlement if it means that a board of directors (residents) type of governing authority is going to replace the professionals that are now in place. Please allow me to tell you why I am so concerned.

I retired at age 50 and decided to keep two homes, be a snowbird if you will. We maintained a second home in Orlando then Boca Raton and finally in Fort Myers. We were so satisfied with Fort Myers that we decided to sell our first home and become Florida residents full time. Just to give you all some background.

Why three moves in Florida ? The short answer is, Home owners associations. We enjoyed our homes but, we could not stand the politics, the vitriol, the in fighting among our neighbors. The constant topic of discussion was always negative and hatefull. Each time we moved we thought that we could escape to another community that was different. Wrong !!!! The Fort Myers location for the past seven years is the best of them and we found ourselves happy here. But now a large project here has surfaced and without going into details, we find ourselves right back where we started. Anger, hatred and even vandalism. Incredible but, true.

I don't pretend to know anything about your POA. I am positive that these are all good people and good neighbors just trying to do what they feel is right for the community. I certainly do not, and will not judge them. I am only telling you of my previous experiences.

What I do not understand here is that after investigating TV, we have decided that it is the most beautiful and well run community that we have ever seen. The amenity package is incredible, affordable and well kept. This place is so well run, so well organized by comparison to anything that we have ever seen that I do not understand why anyone would ever think of changing it. I can't help but think how the developer has made so many people so happy for such a long time. It would be a pity to upset the apple cart now.

So, for what it is worth, and based on previous experience's, It is my opinion that a turnover to a resident run facility would be the first step down a slippery slope that would change the demeanor of the TV in the wrong direction.

We will still be coming there but, we will rent until the dust settles on this issue or we feel comfortable with an acceptable outcome. If there is some legal reason for this turnover that I am unaware of, then maybe the best thing to do for the new administration would be to hire back all the professionals that are doing it now.

I realize that I am not a resident of TV yet, and I apologise for butting in to your affairs but, my wife and I really love TV and we envy all of you that are already living there. Based on our past experiences with HOA's we just wanted to give you our opinion and to wish you all Good Luck.