View Single Post

Old 01-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What Does The "Settlement" Mean With Regard To Recreation Facilities Management?

My wife and I owned property in a large oceanfront complex in NJ. She was actually the president of our association during their growing pains and transition of responsibility to the homeowners. There were several associations, a mix of private homes, townhouses, villas and condos. It included several swimming pools, tennis courts, playgrounds and over 2000 feet of beach. There were common areas, underground parking throughout, a small network of 14 mph roads and 24 hour gated and roving security with full time guards.

The point I would like to make is that the developer had an on premise manager. He did a good job and accordingly was not liked by many that he had to enforce regulations with. He did tilt toward the developer in many decisions as that is who was providing his paycheck.

Ultimately, the association hired their own professional manager rather than let "amateur" hour prevail when the association took over responsibilities. Kahuna is on target and his concerns should not be taken lightly. One way to mitigate the petty politics that often ensue
after conversions to owners is to consider a search for a quality
manager to oversee recreation and amenity responsibilities. A table of organization with clear cut lines of authority and responsibility that keeps appointed or elected officials of the association at arms length from day to day operations is a prerequisite to success.

Perhaps some of the professionals with known abilities, whose positions are terminated because of the turnover would be interested in management and/or administrative positions in the employ of the homeowners.

As Kahuna observes, this is a very critical period as the process of transition materializes. It does not have to be a bad thing as long our community leaders understand the field of engagement and the goal of preserving the very special quality of life we enjoy in the Villages.

Kahuna for President !!!!