View Single Post

Old 01-23-2008, 02:11 AM
Default Re: Scary Roundabout Story

I have also been told by a Sumter County Deputy Sheriff who resides in the Villages that his recommended way to negotiate the roundabouts is to stay in the outside lane and not to change into the inside lane and back into the outside lane to exit. These roundabouts are too small in diameter to change lanes in these small roundabouts. I have driven through many roundabouts in England, Ireland, Germany and France. I even experienced the terror of driving in the roundabout around the Arc de Triumph in Paris. These roundabouts are sustantially larger and one must change lanes to accommodate the heavy traffic involved. If cars stayed in one lane then traffic would back up for miles getting into and out of the roundabouts. We do not have this type of volume going into our Villages roundabouts. Use of the inside lane is not necessary for cars. This is why the Deputy Sheriff recommended to stay in the outside lane.

I have been told the only reason there is an inside lane on our roundabouts is to provide adequate turning clearance for large trucks. I have a 35 ft. class A motor home and I can confirm that if the center lane was not there, I could not successfully turn into the roundabout or turn out of the roundabout without the space provided by the inside lane and the double lane exiting the roundabout. I would hit the curb. Ray