View Single Post

Old 03-01-2015, 10:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
There is no suggestion that you have the right to step into the path of a moving car. In fact, I seem to recall that Florida law does not even call it a pedestrian right of way. And it says all parties have an obligation to avoid collisions. But, it still requires the driver to stop.
I disagree! When the law says a driver has to stop for a pedestrian who steps into a crosswalk with a car coming, and the driver is responsible for the pedestrian's safety, it does tell the pedestrian they can walk out in front of a moving vehicle coming at them.

I see pedestrians doing this all the time: they see cars coming and walk into the crosswalk anyway. A couple of times when I have NOT walked out into the unsignalized crosswalk at LSL on the Panera to VanHuesen corner for example, people behind me have said impatiently, "Just GO! The cars have to stop for you!" and they just walk out in front of them. I stay put till it's safe but most people I see around here do not!

See:
Florida Statutes for Drivers
At an unsignalized crosswalk
(Section 316.130 F.S.):
The driver of a vehicle at any crosswalk where a sign so indicates shall stop and remain stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger.

When traffic control signals are not in place or in operation and no sign indicates otherwise, the driver of a vehicle shall yield, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within a crosswalk when the pedestrian is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger. When a vehicle is stopped at a crosswalk to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway, the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass such stopped vehicle.

At a signalized crosswalk (Section 316.075 F.S.):
Drivers must stop before the stop line or, if none marked, the crosswalk or, if none marked, the intersection. (If a crosswalk is present) the driver must remain stopped before the crosswalk to allow a pedestrian, with a permitted signal, to cross a roadway when the pedestrian is in the crosswalk or steps into the crosswalk and is upon the half of the roadway upon which the vehicle is traveling or when the pedestrian is approaching so closely from the opposite half of the roadway as to be in danger….."

http://www.seminolecountyfl.gov/dps/...0the%20Law.pdf