View Single Post

Old 03-02-2015, 10:17 AM
Default Renting a TV home

Hi All,

Recently retired and a lifetime New Englander, I am looking to settle in Central Florida, which I have visited frequently and enjoy a great deal.
I am planning a 3 month visit, starting in April to research my ideal retirement community.

Although I plan on doing my due diligence in my search of various developments and communities, my research, including your wonderful Forum, and a recent 2 day visit, have made TV a solid favorite. I am currently in the process of securing a May (and perhaps June-July) rental in TV to experience the lifestyle and search for a permanent home.

I have a number of questions, which I will post separately, and my first concerns renting your TV home. My current plan is to live in TV 8-10 months of the year, with travel and home visits for 2-4 months. Obviously, it would be desirable to rent out my TV home for these 2-4 months, to help supplement my travel.

Can someone weigh in on rental expectations in TV, i.e.

- Expected net income (I am looking to purchase a home in the $220-250K range and notice current rentals in the $3K and above range Jan-March, and half that or less in the summer months)?

- What fees are typical of management companies handling rentals (provided I defer handling this on my own)?

- How probable is finding renter, provided fairly flexible with date availability, 2-3 months out?

- What are some caveats to consider in renting your home?

Thanks,
Alan