Thread: funds for IRA
View Single Post

Old 03-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
You are paying your advisor 1% annually plus those funds are very expensive so your cost is slightly over 2.5%. On 100K that is $2500. You have to earn 10% return to match a 7.5% return from a very basic index fund. There is only one way to do that and that is to take more risk.

Personally I would fire that advisor and manage my money my self. Vanguard, Fidelity and Schwab all have very low cost funds. There are several web sites that can help you. lazytraders.com and match one of there very simple portfolios. boogleheads.org, lots of simple excellent investment advice, all for free. I use all 3 investment firms, but have most everything with Vanguard. Using Morningstar xray, my total expense is .11%, just over 1/10th of 1%.

Your expenses are about 25 times what mine are. Are you getting that much value? And that is not counting any trading cost or front end loads you may also be paying. Go to Vanguard and put 40% of your money in TBM (total bond market) 42% in TSM (total stock market) and 18% in TI (total international) Then study those sites and make adjustment to that mix once you learn more about asset allocation and tilts and expense ratios. But that 3 fund simple mix will give you better returns with much lower risk.
"Every dollar paid for management fees or trading commissions is simply a dollar less earning potential return. The key point is that—unlike the markets—costs are largely controllable."

https://personal.vanguard.com/us/ins...uth-about-cost
Suffering from TV envy