View Single Post

Old 03-03-2015, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
The setback is for structure attached to the home. On your site plan it should be represented by a dotted line (Lake and Sumter, recent builds)
This pertains to additions, screen rooms, Pergolas attached to your home etc. The ARC is a little vague on the sitting walls and I have seen similar submittals both approved and denied. Paver patios, sitting walls and stack wall do not fall in this category.
I have also seen denied hardscape submittals built anyway, have complaints registered and the ARC say "it's their house, they can do what they want to".

According to the County and State rules, you can plant as you wish on your property. Any growth that goes over the property line is considered the neighbor's property and they can trim it (up to the property line) or enjoy it, as they wish. I have never heard first hand from the ARC any deviation from this, only 2nd and 3rd hand rumors.

Most of the homes in TV have drainage areas between and behind the homes. I always take these into account and typically keep 1 -2 feet of lawn in the back for drainage. Lately the ARC has caught on and I hear about landscape submittals being denied when landscape beds are shown all the way to the property line.

The ARC in the last 2 years also seems to deny concrete curb and stack wall too close to the property line. 1-3 feet depending on your area. Though I still see neighbors working together and curbing installed on beds that go around utility boxes, continuous through 2 and even 4 different lots.

In over 20 years, I have seen less than a handful of neighbors that were not glad the other neighbor planted between the houses, and many work together even sharing costs. 100s of times I have heard people in TV say.. "I was hoping my neighbor was going to plant something there first.."

In the end, the ARC responds to complaints, and I have heard of them 'forcing' people to do things, BUT, have yet to hear of any actual legal actions taken. There are people out there leaving contractor signs in their yard for over a year even though once a month the ARC shows up demanding they remove them, so I am still unsure as to how much actual 'force' is ever applied.
The ARC does not respond to complaints, deed compliance does.
The ARC would not "show up", if anyone would it would be deed compliance.
'Architectural Review ensures every home modification is constructed of appropriate materials and built to complement the natural and man-made surroundings. The Architectural Review process is purely administrative in nature."
VCDD Community Standards