View Single Post

Old 03-03-2015, 01:04 PM
Gold member

First of all, I really, really like the Prism system. I do, however, feel that I was purposely misled when it came to pricing.

Pre-Prism I was getting my Internet from CenturyLink. I was very happy with the Internet service and was getting 5 Megs and then 10 Megs for Internet speed. More than I really needed, but the price was right. I was paying roughly between $32 and $34 a month. My TV service was then with Directv.

When I switched to Prism I decided that I was worth a little better package than I had been getting with Directv. I added what I'd be paying for Prism and what I was already paying for Internet, allowed for state taxes and fees and it came to about the same amount I was paying for the Directv and CenturyLink Internet. I thought, lets try something new!

What I didn't realize, and nobody at CenturyLink had mentioned, was that Prism needs a faster Internet connection to work properly. One would assume that this extra Internet would be figured into the Prism package price because Prism required the faster speed. WRONG! The Prism price is as quoted, but the Internet price increased by at least 52%.

If I were to make this kind of move again, I'd request a complete breakdown of pricing for Prism and Internet with taxes and fees and have it emailed to me. Of course, that's hind-sight being 20-20!

I still love Prism, but I have been left with a bad taste in my mouth. Come next November I'll try to negotiate some changes with CenturyLink. If I'm not satisfied, I left the Directv Dish on the roof and I have their DVR safely tucked away in a cabinet. I'll probably keep CenturyLink for Internet service, but will go back to the 10 Megs that I had been happy with. Oh, by the way, I get weekly emails from Directv pleading for me to come back at new customer pricing.

Xavier