View Single Post

Old 03-05-2015, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbussone View Post
All purebreds are prone to genetic issues if they are sufficiently inbred. While your comment is technically accurate (as for most breeds), good veterinary history and familial genealogy can help minimize these issues. My avatar is of our former Cavalier, Winston. Our current pet, Harry, will be 3 in August. His predecessor, Winston, lived until 10. His family had 7 genetic heart problem free generations. Despite that he did develop a heart murmur.

I couldn't ask for a pet with a sweeter disposition.

What's important is to research the family line. Not generally discourage people from purchasing the breed. Personally, I could not ever own another breed.
Your point is well made. Really well made. I might add... I know that there are many dogs waiting in shelters to be adopted, but I also believe in buying purebreds from a good breeder to keep the different breeds alive and thriving. Please don't pound on me, rescue people. I give to and help shelters and might be encouraged to adopt an older golden after our current one passes on. But like db, I am stuck on one breed because of the reliability of the temperament, the looks, and because I love big dogs.

Please get AKC registry numbers (that might be the wrong term) from the breeder and take them to your vet. She will help you look up the genealogy of the family and any certifications as to heart, joints, eyes, etc. A good breeder will have this, but you can double-check.

I have heard that Cavs have a golden retriever's happy-go-lucky, people loving temperament in a small, manageable body. I know of one whose best friend was a Rottweiler! They sound like great dogs.