View Single Post

Old 03-06-2015, 09:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I'm guessing that the 14 golf cart accident fatalities involved an automobile or a curb. Seat belts and lower speed is about the only practical things one can do to improve those situations, IMHO. If you tangle with an automobile in a golf cart, you're going to lose. If you hit a curb and flip, a seat belt could increase your injuries. At my previous club, a woman died on the first hole when she drove to close to a bunker, causing the golf cart to turn over. The cart roof edge landed on her head, killing her instantly. This was a run of the mill 12 mph fleet golf cart. There are no guarantees, just like with motorcycles. Motorcycles are great fun....but very dangerous when mixed with automobiles. The OP is a pilot? I am too. I also ride a motorcycle, and drive my golf cart without seat belts. I also ride my bicycle among golf carts and automobiles. Everything has risks. We have enough mandates and laws. So many that every one of us breaks at least some law every day, probably. This is a community of 50,000 plus golf carts! Seems to me, the safety record for golf carts in The Villages is pretty good.