Thread: Amendment #1
View Single Post

Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Amendment #1

Hope to vote today and I've still no solid opinion on the amendment. Yeah, I want lower taxes for me so I like the additional homestead exemption. No, I'm not wild about the transportability of the SOH function --- not really wild about the concept in general. Why should two identical homes, side by side, have vastly different tax bills simply because one was purchased more recently? On the other hand, why should my taxes go up because my neighbors sold their home for an outrageous amount so some guy says my home is suddenly worth 3 times what it was previously? It's the same house, and I ain't selling.

And governments have voracious appetites. They never consider reducing expenditures, just increasing. Nobody ever sought votes by promising to take away a benefit or service, whether it should be provided or not. If we limit one source of income, they'll search for others.

As little as I understand it, I approve of the stipulation reducing taxes on businesses, but really, who cares?

One part of me says that since the teachers' union and various poverty pimps are against the issue, I should be for it. On the other hand, they might actually be right this time. :dontknow:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e