View Single Post

Old 03-06-2015, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Don't let Cathy H put the fear of God in you.
CFrance is correct in what she says and Dbusssone is correct in that all breeds are prone to something.
However, that should never stop you from loving and getting what you want.
Even most dogs of uncertain breed history have something in their genetic makeup whereby they are prone to something.

Throughout my husband's and my life we have had both purebred and mutts.
In purchasing a pure bred dog I would never buy from someone who is simply "having a litter."
Usually, it's because they want to make money. We only buy from a breeder. Breeders usually show their dogs and when they breed, do so for the betterment of the breed. Their dogs are a serious business for them. The good breeders will always have some champions in the dog's lineage.
I totally agree with Bonanza. I bought an American Eskimo from a breeder recommended by the President of the American Kennel Club. She breeds for show but occasionally has puppies that don't make the grade and will sale them to us commoners. Her dogs are known for their good temperament and overall health. My puppy came from two grand champions. I had to wait one year for a puppy because she only lets her females breed three times in their lives. She provided more documentation than I asked for and my dog is one of the few American Eskimos I've encountered who likes people and other dogs. I love him dearly. I also love our other dog, a lovely mutt we got from the pound. All dogs, regardless of their background, need good homes.