View Single Post

Old 01-24-2008, 09:58 PM
Veteran member
Default Re: What Does The "Settlement" Mean With Regard To Recreation Facilities Management?

Bimmer, thank you for your thoughtful response and especially the Ocala Star Banner article. I did in fact qualify my remark regarding the $6,700,000 by noting, "Likewise, if true, how is this a good thing for the majority of Villagers."

I plead no contest to taking license with the insurance remark. I was being sarcastic and don't have a clue what the actual number is, but, from personal experience, it isn't pocket change.

We are in agreement about the Villages being the best place to live. I have a very real concern about not having a say in an action that profoundly affects my property rights, life style and pocketbook. I did not vote on instituting the class action, the representatives that brought it, or, the ultimate settlement, yet it has profound implications for me and many other Villagers. Regarding your reference to the Confidentiality Agreement, I believe it is a slap in the face to every Village resident stakeholder and has bred rumor and suspicion. It begs the question of, "who is trying to hide what from who."

As to the "settlement" itself, my question frankly was whether the attorneys and class representatives acted on what was best for them in the form of the personal windfall they stand to gain or what was best for Villagers. I would like to know to what extent they negotiated their personal awards into the settlement and where the actual funds are coming from. It is difficult to accept a handful of individuals personally profitting from an action that totally excluded the property owners from having any say in the process even though they are directly and profoundly affected. But....that is just my opinion.

Do you think Villagers who were not given a voice or vote in this process or settlement have an argument that has legal standing or merit on the basis of taxation without representation if the funding for the awards is in fact coming from revenues generated by Village property owners? Does the judge even know that the "group of five" has no standing as official representatives of the Villages and in fact are self appointed class representatives? They have not been duly appointed or elected by anyone I know and specifically me as a property owner. How do they get to decide for me?

Part of the problem is that this whole CDD is going through a metamorphosis in Florida law. It is dynamic in the sense that precedents are still being formed and there are many grey, undefined areas.

I was 6 over par (first time) going into the last hole at Palmer this afternoon and blew up shooting an 8 on that hole, so when I got home, instead of kicking the dog, I headed for the computer. In spite of this rant, the Villages is still the best place to be.

Hey Russ, chasing that little white ball isn't the only exercise we need.
You need mental exercises as well. Remember golf itself is 90% mental. Or....as Yogi Berra would say, "It's 90% mental and the other half is physical."