View Single Post

Old 03-07-2015, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey100 View Post
Greed usually implies "excessive" when it comes to money. A company that is not "greedy" would be Ben and Jerry's. The starting salary is twice the minimum wage; they support environmental efforts. They support Fair Trade - Fair Trade certification guarantees that the farmers who grow the vanilla, cocoa and coffee beans get a fair price for their harvest, enabling them to reinvest in their land and communities. This costs B&J's more money in the long run, but ethically its the right thing to do. A greedy company will take an opposite approach - Walmart comes to mind - with billions of dollars a year in profits, a reliance on part-time workers who are structured out of decent wages and access to health care benefits.
I used to abstract regional business magazines and newspapers when I worked for Information Access Company in Belmont, CA. There are many ethical companies like Ben and Jerry's that earn quite a profit.

Another note-- Personal enrichment was kind of ingrained into us while I was in law school. Professors would often talk about how much money we would make once we got through the ordeal of law school. I know some law students from back then we do good work in some area or another who are probably not very well paid but are content with what they are doing. There are others who do good work for people but are extremely well paid for doing it.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 03-08-2015 at 07:42 AM.