Thread: Military Talk
View Single Post

Old 01-25-2008, 05:37 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Military Talk

OK -- Dad joined Army in '42 at age 16; was a mustang; transportation MOS of some sort -- helped devise and implement the Red Ball Express. Obviously, European Theatre in WWII.

Post war was tricky since a lot of his tours of duties were for months at a time at various embassies to develop ingress/egress, supply and emergency routes. If the duty tour was more than 2 months, Dad his family travel with him although many times we never even bothered unpacking. And I really don't know his tours before I was born.

1946-47 - Nuremberg (War Tribunal)
Unknown
1949-51 - Munich
1952-53 - Ft. Monmouth, NJ
1953-55 - Embassies - France, England, Soviet Bloc, Egypt, Japan, Hong Kong
1955-56 - Fort Ord, CA, Provost Marshall
1957-58 - Fort Dix, NJ, Fort Puke, LA, Fort Riley, KS, a couple of others (16 states, 14 schools)
1958-59 - Embassies - Iran, Saudi Arabia, Panama, St. Petersburg USSR, Phillipines
1959-61 - Frankfurt am Main
1962 - Deceased (age 36, full bird)

Brother served 3 tours in 'Nam -- Da Nang; Saigon; mission never discussed but assume it was Laos (Green Beret, Ranger and went through Navy Seal program although in the Army)

In case you haven't guessed, I'm rather proud of my father and my brother. They were special men who served this coutry with pride and honor.

Thank you for letting me brag!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein