Thread: King vs Burwell
View Single Post

Old 03-09-2015, 08:17 AM
n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest View Post
The IRS should be eliminated. Taxes should be filed on a postcard. This silly morass of THOUSANDS of pages of tax code needs a complete overhaul. Replace the income tax with either a flat tax OR sales tax. The current tax code exempts half the population and penalizes the other half's success with higher rates of confiscation as one becomes more successful. That is classic Marxism.

Success (through education, hard work, risking capital) should be incentivized and rewarded, not punished! The generous safety net in this country provides strong incentive to remain dependent on the handouts. These social safety nets should protect the "unable", not the "unwilling"!
The flat tax and a national sales tax are both just too regressive. The reason for a progressive tax code is that poorer people are less able to pay taxes AND buy food. An argument could be made that our tax code is TOO progressive, and that something flatter with fewer deductions and loopholes would be better, but to change to something that is as regressive as you suggest is just absurd. Confiscating is confiscating. The rich are in a better position to afford it.

I worked hard and achieved some modicum of success. I have never once in all my years of being taxed, felt that I was being punished. I've been able to provide for my family, plus help the less fortunate. Win-win.