View Single Post

Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuccillo View Post
Implicit in my suggestion is the opportunity for several people (the committee) to essentially question, in person, the Villages Entertainment as to why the existing policy is not being enforced. At that time, the committee could also ask about the escalation path. Some things are best done in person and the issue here is accountability - there is apparently a rule on "the books" that someone is choosing not to enforce. It isn't clear to me why the Sheriff's department would be involved as it isn't a law enforcement issue.
It's a good question. I'm no law enforcement expert but my thinking was that the The Villages Entertainment Division sponsors this event and may establish policies to govern the event. If someone willfully violates those policies then a law enforcement agency would have the authority to intercede to maintain order, thus enforcing the policy. Whether, in extreme cases, they could arrest someone for disturbing the peace or some other statutory infraction, I'm not sure. For example, if the Orlando Magic prohibits the display of offensive signs, or any signs for that matter, would or could their private security at the Amway Center, or on duty law officers at the game enforce the rule? I think they can, but if someone has legal or law enforcement experience, I'd welcome some advice on this issue. Please advise us, and tell us about your expertise.