View Single Post

Old 03-10-2015, 02:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
I believe your question is about "Open" sessions, rather than "Combo" or "Lap" sessions.

When I tried doing laps in an Open session the (very few) walkers kept congregating for a chat at the end of my black pool line, forcing me to keep switching. Even though I was deliberately avoiding them while they were walking widths, they clearly resented someone swimming in "their" pool. All seemed rather petty and unVillagerlike, but that's how it goes here sometimes.

The definition of an Open session is open to interpretation, so you would be doing everyone a favor if you could get the official line and post it here.

What is not unclear is that, for combo and lap sessions, you are supposed to share your lane if all lanes are taken. Some people refuse to do this, but you can insist if you want to.

Each year, more and more combo sessions are replaced by organized activities with the result that less and less time is available for swimming.

I have suggested to Recreation that Laurel Manor - which has deeper water and diving boards and is thus a proper "swimming" pool, less suited to other activities - should have its lane-markers left in 24/7, but that fell on deaf ears.

To be fair, it is impossible to keep everyone happy, but I do think Recreation makes work for itself by constantly having to put in and take out lane markers.
I agree with you on this. I've noticed pools tied up with a lot Volleyball sessions in the afternoons, for example, aerobics classes in the morning. Laurel and Mulberry being deeper pools with wider lanes, really are more suited to lap swimming.