View Single Post

Old 03-10-2015, 11:18 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Take the following FWIW...

Tonight it finally happened. My wife and I went to LSL just after 5:00 for Uncle Bob's Rock Shop. It was crowded as we knew it would be. My wife picked a spot to stand while I walked around to see if there were any seats available. I happened to spot a line of seats with trash bags tying them all together. I politely asked the lady on one end if she was saving the seats. She said no. I asked the gentleman on the other end if he was saving the seats. He also said no. They were both very friendly, so I asked if they knew if people had left the seats to dance. They said not since they were there.

It appeared to be a classic case of what this thread is about. After considering the situation a bit, I took my knife and cut the trash bags to free up two chairs and called my wife over. About 20-30 minutes later, two ladies came by and said they had reserved the seats. I asked if they had been dancing...and I was fully ready to give them the seats if they had been. But they said "no...we reserved them before we went to a restaurant at 4:00."

As politely as possible, I said sorry, but that is against the published rules (thevillagesentertainment.com/faq) and we were keeping the seats. The ladies were understanding, obviously unaware of any rules, and made no fuss. A few minutes later a gentleman came by and quickly said that there was no such rule. I showed him, on my phone, the FAQ's listed above. He wasn't particularly happy, but walked away. That was the last we heard from him or anybody from his group. Several people who overheard what was going on expressed in respectful ways their support for me and my wife.

The rest of the evening was uneventful and enjoyable.
I applaud you for confronting the situation and for attaining a peaceful resolution. But as a woman, I would not do that.

I've seen big, (apparently) drunken, foul-mouthed men get into near fist-fights twice, once at Spanish Springs and once at LSL, and these obnoxious things would not have hesitated to punch somebody--male or female--in the mouth or slam a head against a stone/concrete wall.

Event staff/management has to be in charge of enforcing the rules, not audience members.