Thread: THE DRAFT
View Single Post

Old 01-25-2008, 11:18 PM
JohnnyM
Default Re: THE DRAFT

Hi BSLINY and thanks for your service. I am not positive about my answer to your question as I enlisted during 'Nam and not drafted. As far as draftee's were concerned I think it was kind of a mix of who went where. I believe it depended on need. If boots on the ground were needed, draftee's were quickly trained to fight and sent to the front lines. Viet Nam went for about 15 years so I guess at times they may have needed more educated draftee's for a more skilled and specialized positions and had the time to train them. In the end I think you are right, it was the luck of the draw. I think I detected from your posting on my "Military Talk" thread that you feel a bit guilty for not being in combat. Let me say this to you sir, you were in 'Nam. You faced as much danger as anyone. At times I still mull over in my mind that I wished I could have been there with the guys and gals up front helping them out. It's a natural way to feel if you were in during the fight but never got to the big show, so to speak. Maybe God had different plans for guys like us, but we still hurt the same for not being with our comrades in battle. You are a true American. No one can ever take that away from you! JohnnyM