View Single Post

Old 03-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

We have visited Hawaii numerous times and also took a RT cruise from San Diego to 5 islands and returned. Here are my comments and observations.

You dont say how long you are going for but if it is for 10 days I would relax and take in no more than 2 islands. Fly into Ohau and visit Pearl Harbor, Diamond Head, stroll the beaches iof Waikiki, Visit the Polinesian Cultural Village, rent a car and drive through Paulley Pass and visit the North Shore and finally snorkel in Hamanan (sp) Bay. This will easily take 3-4 days to enjoy yourslef, relax and enjoy a Mai Tai. Then I would fly to Maui again relax and enjoy what is offered in the Lahania Area. You will rent a car here so visit the Volcano (do some hiking), or ride the bikes down the mountain. Take a ride to Hana (day trip in itself) , go to a Luau, places to parasail or snorkel are abundant.....but stay and enojy each location 4 days. If you have 2 full weeks then you can consider a 3rd island but you get tired of packing and meeting up at the airport. Kauai or Hawaii are the other 2 to visit but these locations are much laid back. We once rented a B&B in the Village of Volcano on the island of Hawaii and it is in the middle of a rain forest.....Beautiful. We were there when the lava was flowing on the surace and you could get right up to it. Yes the smell is powerful but to see what Lava can do or to see it flow into the ocean will always be a memory not to forget. AS for return flights, its best if you can get flights back to the mainland from Maui Kauai or Hawaii and not have to return back to Ohau...otherwise it would be a very long day.

On our last trip to Hawaii we left via cruise ship from San Diego and visited 5 islands. That was fine but you must enjoy sea days for 5 -6 days EACH way is alot of down time but relaxing. If your a cruiser its fine but I would not recommend this for a first time cruise. Short visits at each island brought back alot of memories for we have already been to all these islands and knew where we wanted to go and what to see. My recommendation for the first time visitor is to allow more time for yourselves on each island...and relax!

WARNING: If you take a cruise to Hawaii from Cailfornia.....I would definitely NOT recommend any ship that starts or ends in Mexico and then they bus you to San Diego (or vice versa). A stop will be required but you really dont wants to get off in mexico....not the way to finish a nice trip.

Last edited by 784caroline; 03-12-2015 at 08:22 AM.