Thread: Paris
View Single Post

Old 03-12-2015, 01:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Wink Some Thoughts

First I would go to Barnes and Nobel and buy a map of Paris that shows some of the major sites. I would take the map and check off the Tourist Sites which you want to see and circle them. Look at distances between sites and study which you can walk between and those you must take public transportation. This will point to the Underground system which is easy to figure out. Do not use taxi's they are both expensive and the price goes up in the evening. I am not sure they still run but look to see if American Express has a half day tour. If so, take it, sit in the front of the bus and with your Paris map mark the locations you want to go back to. This is cheap way of getting to know the city. At one time I worked in Paris and we were always amazed at the tourists who were standing on the corner trying to figure out where they wanted to go next. If they added up all of the costs to make the trip they would understand what it was costing to stand there and now decide what to do!! This may sound like overkill but also buy a second map of Paris and tape it to your hotel wall. When you come into the room you are always looking at what you would do next. There are some good recommendations in other notes in this grouping. Montmarte is a good place to visit and it is even better if you are there when the artist's are in the square. Fuscon's by the Opera for sweets cannot be beat. Coffee at Cafe de Lape (Spelliing) is famous and a great place to see the people. The Effile Tower is worth it. Take it to the very top (second lift) and if that doesn't make you nervous nothing will.
When picking up a map(s) at Barnes and Nobel make sure the one has a map of the Underground, if not get one of the Underground. Make sure you have some Euro's for tips when you first land. Pick pockets can be a pain in the neck and should be careful. Very seldom is there a violent crime. For rememberence of the trip rather than buying some cheap thing, pick up
a pebble at the Arch or the Tower, etc and bring it back and put it in a little glass bubble for a necklace, etc. Also be sure to protect your Passport. In some cases that is more important than currency. Leave a copy at home in case yours is stolen you can call home and have the copy expedited to you in Paris. I have gone on too long. I could add more but this is a good
start. (If you want to go to a "naughty" show you could consider The Crazy Horse in Pigale. Probably not worth it?)