View Single Post

Old 03-12-2015, 08:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Here is some information, one respected well balanced source, on when is a stress test needed, and nuclear vs exercise.
Choosing Wisely | Stress tests for chest pain

To the OP, as you have suggested that your being fit should have gone into the decision making process, I would respectfully disagree. You presented with acute chest pain. Your past ability to exercise did not preclude your having a significant cardiac event at the time of this hospitalization. Had they said, "Well, she is Beachbody Coach so we don't have to evaluate her heart, she must be fine." that would have been terrible care.

As to who ordered what test, I can't tell from your posting. You said you were seen by a PA, and then said a doctor ordered your test. A PA is not a doctor and despite your telling the PA you wanted a treadmill, if the MD the previous evening had ordered a nuclear test, that order would still apply. I don't know what your blood work showed or whether there might have been some concerns on your baseline EKG that they may not have even mentioned to you as they can be non-specific.

To clarify, the PA decided I should do the treadmill test... The doctor later agreed that he wanted it and questioned why I didn't take the treadmill test.

You can be 100% certain that some technologist in the cardiac lab did not make the decision of what stress test you would receive. They were following an order from someone. And as someone else posted, if you objected to having the test it is completely within your rights to decline it. At worst this will result in someone coming to explain to you the pros and cons and that if you die from an MI on the ride home they told you to have the test (CYA informed consent).
Something that was missed in my letter. The right hand in the hospital didn't know what the left hand was doing. I found it very scary. It was so bad I felt that if someone came in to have their left leg amputated... they would most likely remove the right one. It was BAD!!!!

The people posting here are assuming the staff at the hospital knew what they were doing. It was clear to me.. they didn't!!!

I was told they are over worked and understaffed!