View Single Post

Old 03-13-2015, 11:07 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by laceylady View Post
These are the same people....but they are NOT retired accountants. I attended the first training session last year. The tax preparer students have a multitude of different backgrounds, from engineers to...? Many had done their own taxes in the past, some such as myself were accountants and had worked for other tax services. I worked for H&R Block for 10 years. Their tax preparers also come from varied backgrounds and go through Block's training program as the AARP people go through AARP's program. The best thing to do is ask for an "experienced" tax preparer when having your taxes done at such a place.
I have used them for advice but not had them prepare the return. I went in and stated I had a complicated tax question (which I did) and that I would wait for a retired accountant. I had brought all the paper forms printed out. Sat down and pulled out my book to read as I waited. Got a very smart retired fellow who answered my strange questions and we wrote on my blank forms where to list what. Took them home and filed out the forms fresh copies and filed them myself. At the time I had a weird investment that I didn't know how to report. Now that my life is more simple I use Turbo tax but the person who posted they have an accountant that only charges $175 is getting a steal.