View Single Post

Old 03-14-2015, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2 View Post
Perhaps we should step away from the cookies (I tell myself that all the time.) and maybe segue into a discussion of workplace dynamics.

I am a little curious.

Is there someone standing behind the OP who wants to hold her coat so she can go fight? -- Those types are often in a state of self-righteous indignation. Oh so aware of real and imagined grievances. That's a personality type. Steer clear of them.

Is there a drama queen in the mix? -- Your umbrage becomes their umbrage. That's because they love a scene. Varies slightly from the coat-holder. The coat-holder will be more hostile and self-righteous. The drama queen can appear to be sympathetic, giving you a shoulder to cry on, but hoping for that big finale. Steer clear.

But if it is you, self-motivated you, willing to cost someone their job over something so flimsy, willing to drag the boss into it, well, take a good look in the mirror. Take a deep breath. Do a little self-talk. And step away from the cookies. (And maybe look up that famous quote from Pogo.)

I can tell you right now that if you elevate this to a big deal, it will hurt you. There will be those in the workplace who will steer clear of you. Your boss, if a good boss, will not be impressed. Your boss, if a bad boss who wants a tattle-tale, will use you for that. Is that who you want to be?

And please, next time, put that nice plate of cookies on a table in the employee area for everyone. If you want everybody to know they are from you, just add a little "Happy Whatever" card or note. Don't dole them out to only those you choose.

(Aw, gee, I was not going to get into this thread, but it was starting to drive me crazy. Advice was asked for, after all.)

So anyway, enough about the cookies. Let's move on to the cheese. I really doubt you want to be like the cheese -- who stands alone.

Bossy Laurie
Well said. I'm glad you got into the thread, Bossy Laurie!