Thread: Publix Produce
View Single Post

Old 03-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Sage

click here
for the entire piece

"The Fair Food Program changes all that — through voluntary cooperation.

Companies agree to pay an extra penny a pound. That money — which costs the average tomato-buying family about 40 cents a year — then goes into an audited fund that makes sure pickers get raises and that workplace-safety practices are in place.

Many companies decided it's simply the right thing to do. Florida's largest grocery chain, however, refuses.

Publix says none of this is the chain's concern. It says suppliers are free to charge them more for tomatoes, which Publix would gladly pay.

But the movie calls baloney on that. So does common sense.

If Publix would happily pay more money, the suppliers would happily take it.

The reality, as experts in the movie note, is that big buyers like Publix control the prices. It's the biggest grocery game around. And farmers know that if they try to jack up prices, the big chains will simply go to another farm ... or perhaps another country."

If it's true that forty cents a year out of my pocket once a year can improve someones life in a big way,,, and I say no; it would be hard for me to sleep. If only what's fair to everyone was that simple. And don't you think Publix is a big advertiser in that paper? It takes moxie to to go against your advertiser. Does that happen a lot?