View Single Post

Old 03-15-2015, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
Hope they add amenities like golf and a square in the area
to accommodate the 300 homes

A square for 300 people? How many people do you think are serviced by Spanish Springs Town Square?

It's three miles from SS to LSL. So draw a line 1-1/2 miles below SS Town Square and all of those people tend to go to that square. It's about eight miles from LSL to Brownwood. so draw a line 1-1/2 mile north of LSL and another one about 4 miles south of it and that's how many people LSL was meant for.

if everything was planned from the beginning, and we know it wasn't, we would have one square for every 35,000 people. Six hundred additional people in a development of 110,000 is nothing.

By the way, speaking of "build out"; would anyone be surprised if The Villages acquired and developed land south of Rte 44?

Why would they ever stop buying land and developing? The people that do these kinds of things are success orientated type A personalities. A success is never enough. They are never satisfied. They teach their children to be the same way so that when they die they will continue doing what they did. And that's fine with me, as long as they continue to do it in the manner that they have done it by providing enough amenities and shopping.

There will be bumps along the road and sometimes housing development will outgrown the retail development, but as long as a company sees a lot of people in an area, they will want to put a store there. Publix is a great example. The saw the development with Brownwood and put a new Publix in there. Colony is a problem right now, but I have no doubt that another grocery store, probably Winn Dixie will see an opportunity to make more money and get in there to ease some of the congestion. Look at 27/441. There are two Publix within a mile of one another.

Have some of the people that normally shop at the Colony Publix thought about going to one on Wedgewood Lane? Is that one just as crowded. Believe me, if there is that much supermarket business going on in a small area, another supermarket will be looking to get some of it. or Publix may come to the conclusion that it's going to lose some of it's business to another chain and put another store in. Retail development will always lag behind residential development and I would guess that the overcrowding at Colony is temporary.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.