View Single Post

Old 03-19-2015, 09:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
LyndaS, I too have rescue dogs. One of mine was a breeder in a puppy mill. When I got him he had been discovered as one of 22 puppy mill Borzoi that were in a swamp in Texas, tied to posts in 2 feet in standing water without shelter and he was hairless (long haired now), and weighed about half of his current weight. He was almost feral and when I got him shipped to me in Pennsylvania and he was such a freakazoid that even my other 5 large dogs were afraid of him. If I took him in the car he dripped a faucet from his nose. On a lead he went straight up in the air and I fell on my face many times until we got it right. He would dash to the corner where the water bowl was then dash to the corner to a dog bed. He wouldn't connect with any of us- dog or human. This went on for months while I sat on his bed with my back to him, gently and softly talking to him as he either shook or ignored me. I continued to walk him daily which really helped our bond I believe. Finally one day his long skinny leg pulled me back as I went to get up from his bed. Another day he got up and goosed me as I did the dishes. Eventually became a Hospice Therapy Dog and today, at the remarkable age of over 13 years, he is totally at ease with every dog and human he meets. He is the only swamp dog from that rescued group of 22 still alive and the only one to have healed so well. I am eternally grateful for our bond and for how spectacular a dog he is and for all the love he has shown me. Make no mistake- it IS worth the work and the journey.
(First pict is now, 2nd pict is him standing about 4 months after I got him)
You are truly a saint, Roz.