View Single Post

Old 03-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCV2015 View Post
So I am confused - where does the Fair Act law play out in the scenario you mentioned? Are the TV sales rep only allowing 55yr old or older to purchase and not allowing under 55 to purchase. Seems like age discrimination and not abiding by the Fair Act Law.
MCV, it is the Fair Housing laws that deal with age discrimination. The Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA) was enacted as an amendment to the Fair Housing laws for the purpose of providing communities designed and intended specifically for older adults. As I pointed out in my previous post, the 80% rule is the minimum required by law in order for a community to retain their age-restricted status with the federal government. It doesn't mean that the community has to allow younger people to reside in the other 20% of the homes. They have the option to, but they don't have to. The communities can place much more stringent rules in place if they wish. The 55+ community that I lived in prior to moving here required that 100% of the homes be both owned and occupied by at least one person who was 55+.