Thread: swollen ankles
View Single Post

Old 03-20-2015, 09:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Just before your ankles swelled, had you been doing any exercise? In 2003 when I was 53 and hadn't been to a doctor for any medical problem in my life, it was spring time and I had to cut the grass for the first time that year. The next day my ankles swelled up so much I had to loosen my shoe laces to get them on my feet. After about 5 days and my ankles still swollen I looked into finding a doctor.

I went to a rheumatologist and he ran some tests. I had also told him a couple of months earlier in the coldest months of January and February I had developed a rash on my arms and chest. Two different dermatologist couldn't figure out why but when the weather got warmer the rash went away. He did some tests and a week later he said the swollen ankles were caused by the same problem as your rash. You have an over active immune system and since you had been inactive all winter and then just cut the grass your body thought you had injured your ankles. He said a rash is simply the body making too much new skin, cold weather probably made your body think you had injured our skin.

He said they're three brand name drugs that we can choose from to treat the problem, either Enbrel, Humira or Remicade, and basically those drugs will shut down your immune system. That's my experience with this, I can give you more info if this relates to you.

Last edited by John_W; 03-20-2015 at 09:47 PM.