View Single Post

Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycasebeer View Post
Like many folks, we discussed getting a recirculating pump to avoid the time and waste of having potable water drain out while waiting for hot water to 'finally arrive.

Being daring spendthrift's ( :-) ), we decided "...what-the-hell," and decided to have a pump installed. Good decision.

I debated buying/installing a pump from Home Depot to save $$. After remembering my experience 20/30 years ago hanging wallpaper and installing a water softener, I decided to have a 'pro do it. (Ok, I'll take it out of my allowance....)

Good decision #2. We called Tim Herndon Plumbing (352-201-8237). The total cost was $368 (with tax), installed. It took Tim and his helper about an hour to install of the Watts pump and master bathroom relay. I watched - but didn't get in the way (supervision & management has always been my strong suit).

I estimated the best times for the on/off cycles and programmed them into the dial-timer. After do that I realized that to get an accurate accessment of the pump electric costs, we would have to let it run continuously for a while. Ok...so I reprogrammed the timer to 24-hours a day. Expensive, I know, what what the heck ... we can readjust the house budget for the additional expense!

Then I hooked-up my nifty little "Kill A Watt" gizmo to see how much electricity the Watt recirculator took.

After running the pump 24-hours a day for two days, the Watt pump took 1.25KW. Let's see. At $0.11/KW it costs us $0.1375 for forty-eight hours, or about $25.09/year for the recirculator. I think the annual budget can handle that (but I'll have to check the speadsheet).

Now the only question is the additonal expense of (re)heating the circulated water - but my guess is that it'll cost than the wine consumed calculating all this.

Mary likes the fast hot water, and I certainly like not having to wait forever to get warm water for shaving, etc.

We should have done this a Long time ago.

Life in The Villages is Grand!

Best,
Casey&Mary
I like this guy! A common sense kind of guy.

Xavier