Forums

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post

Old 03-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseycasebeer View Post
Like many folks, we discussed getting a recirculating pump to avoid the time and waste of having potable water drain out while waiting for hot water to 'finally arrive.

Being daring spendthrift's ( :-) ), we decided "...what-the-hell," and decided to have a pump installed. Good decision.

I debated buying/installing a pump from Home Depot to save $$. After remembering my experience 20/30 years ago hanging wallpaper and installing a water softener, I decided to have a 'pro do it. (Ok, I'll take it out of my allowance....)

Good decision #2. We called Tim Herndon Plumbing (352-201-8237). The total cost was $368 (with tax), installed. It took Tim and his helper about an hour to install of the Watts pump and master bathroom relay. I watched - but didn't get in the way (supervision & management has always been my strong suit).

I estimated the best times for the on/off cycles and programmed them into the dial-timer. After do that I realized that to get an accurate accessment of the pump electric costs, we would have to let it run continuously for a while. Ok...so I reprogrammed the timer to 24-hours a day. Expensive, I know, what what the heck ... we can readjust the house budget for the additional expense!

Then I hooked-up my nifty little "Kill A Watt" gizmo to see how much electricity the Watt recirculator took.

After running the pump 24-hours a day for two days, the Watt pump took 1.25KW. Let's see. At $0.11/KW it costs us $0.1375 for forty-eight hours, or about $25.09/year for the recirculator. I think the annual budget can handle that (but I'll have to check the speadsheet).

Now the only question is the additonal expense of (re)heating the circulated water - but my guess is that it'll cost than the wine consumed calculating all this.

Mary likes the fast hot water, and I certainly like not having to wait forever to get warm water for shaving, etc.

We should have done this a Long time ago.

Life in The Villages is Grand!

Best,
Casey&Mary
I like this guy! A common sense kind of guy.

Xavier

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.