View Single Post

Old 03-22-2015, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

As a newbie, soon to retire, and permanent in TV later this year, I found this thread a bit strange. What a wonderful community we are lucky to live in with recreational activities for all adult ages, most are within a golf cart ride. I am 56, and outside of 25 extra unwanted pounds and a little less endurance, I don't feel much different than I did at 25. Most of us probably feel that way as well, regardless of age. I have friends in their 30's and friends in their 70's. My regular golf foursome in NY are 67,75, and 78---the 75 yo tends to beat me. There is no "generation gap", no lack of conversation, and no "age prejudice". Didn't we all come from age diverse communities and are old enough to have learned to relate to all ages?
The oldest person I met at TV so far is 94, and he was hitting balls at the Palmer range. He could hardly stand steady, and when he took a swing he fell down, fairly hard. He did not want medical help, I got him to his feet, and his only request was for me to put another ball on a tee for him. So, IMHO, it is attitude and not age that counts.
As for me---why retire to a senior community? Because there is much more than golf available in TV, unlike many other Florida retirement areas. As we age, perhaps become less physically able to participate in sports, there still will be plenty to do. And in general, those who stay active stay healthier, stay happier, and live a longer quality life. Just look around you and you see it in TV every day