View Single Post

Old 03-23-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozzello View Post
I live here full time. When I eat out (several times a week), I tip at least 20%. More if I feel the waitress/waiter provided good service. They don't even make minimum wage before tips. After taxes, most make about 50 bucks a week on their paychecks.

I hear it is common during 'season' for a few of the folks that stay here only a month or 2 during the winter, to sit down with 5, 6 or more people for a dinner, and tip 5 or 10% (or less even), like they do in Canada (where they make a LOT more by the hour) , or in Europe.

A 'comped' tip on your bill would be 18%. I know it isn't because you don't have the money, that you aren't tipping a fair rate. I am going to figure it is because you didn't know, and now that you read this ... you know. In my opinion, tipping a waitress/waiter anything less than 18% is stealing from them.

Most folks do tip properly, and some maybe didn't know what should be tipped in this part of the world. Some of you knew, don't, and never will. I feel sorry for you almost as much as I do for the people who wait on you.

We went out to eat the other night at one of the country clubs. Our meal came to 36.00. Our meal was ok, as was the server. She was nice, but other than fill our glasses once, we never saw much of her. We paid for ur meal, and gave her 10.00 and told her that we needed change. We didn't say it was for her tip, but I am sure she should know that. She brought us back the change for the 10.00, but no change for the 40.00 we had given her for our meal. We waited for quite a long time for her to bring back the 4 bucks, and she never came back by our table, or looked our way. We tried to get her attention, but couldn't. We thought about walking into her way, but the longer we sat, the more annoyed we got, and finally decided that it wasn't right for her to just assume she could keep the extra money from the 40.00. So we left without leaving her any additional money which is why we asked for change. WE decided she got her tip herself-she would have been better off to let us figure the tip. She probably thought we were terrible, but it was not right for her to just assume she could keep that money. Ironically, if she had returned our money, she would have gotten that much and a lot more. Some may think we were terrible for not tipping properly, but she never returned, and we should not have had to chase her to get our change back. BTW, she had 3 tables inc. ours, so she wasn't horribly busy.