View Single Post

Old 03-23-2015, 09:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy View Post
when my husband had symptoms of stroke, I took him to TVRh but they sent him by ambulance to Leesburg ... which took the entire day to get an ambulance available ( he was evaluated at Villages and they said he was ok, but said they had no neurologist - I didn't understand if neurologist was not on call or not on staff , since I was stressed at the time.. Leesburg staff indicated they could not figure out why they moved him there..but thank goodness he is ok and that is what matters to us.
Typically a neurologist or team of neurologists will lead the care team. But that is not mandatory. There are a number of requirements, including the ability to safely provide a clot busting drug within an hour of the appearance of the stroke symptoms - much like is done for heart attack patients. Here are some general guidelines:

Certification Standards Requirements
Institutes are required to comply with national standards regulating stroke care and clinical practice. A stroke center must demonstrate performance evaluation tools to assess and improve care for stroke victims. Stroke centers must also have excellent standards of program management, clinical information and self-management initiatives.

Get With The Guidelines - Stroke is a program devised by the ASA, which advises hospitals on effective techniques for gathering and analyzing data for stroke victims and effective methods for physicians, nursing staff and other healthcare professionals to assess their performances. The course also offers crucial guidelines on treating and discharging patients. These guidelines must be strictly adhered to if a stroke center wishes to gain certification through the JCHAO.

The ASA hosts a range of professional development opportunities, such as the International Stroke Conference, which assists stroke care teams develop the necessary skills and knowledge needed to acquire the PSCC certification. The ASA also formulated the Acute Stroke Treatment Program (ASTP), which assists hospital meet the necessary infrastructure requirements to start up and gain certification as a primary stoke center.

Recertification Requirements
The JCHAO offers one-year certification to primary stoke centers who adhere to all of these criteria. To gain a one year certificate extension, stroke centers are required to submit documents outlining their continuing adherence to care standards and performance evaluation. Primary stroke centers are required to undergo an on-site assessment every two years.