Forums

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
View Single Post

Old 01-29-2008, 10:13 PM
Founder
Default A flaw in the Marion county voting process?

You have the absolute right to privacy when you vote. Nobody....that's nobody is allowed to see your ballot. EVER!!!!! Right?

Today, when I voted at Mulberry, I checked in and they handed me a ballot in a manila folder. I walked to the three sided voting booth. I recorded my votes on the ballot with a black pen.

Then, I put my ballot back in the manila folder and walked across the room to a machine that sucks your ballot into it. Standing right next to the machine is an election worker. When I take my ballot out of the manila folder, it is right directly in front of his face. He has only to glance down to see how I voted.

Now, why would the worker look, you might ask. If I were somebody of some importance, lots of outsiders would be interested in knowing how I voted.

That is beside the point. Our voting process is secret. Whoever thought up the idea that we should expose our ballots to the eyes of a second party needs to rethink the process.

I'm sure there are those of you who think this is no big deal. I do! It is an invitation for abuse. Relaxation of the sanctity of the secrecy is dangerous. What will be the next relaxation?

I called the election office. They didn't seem to care too much. They said they would "call down there and tell him not to look." It was a childish response to a very serious issue.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.