View Single Post

Old 03-24-2015, 11:00 AM
Sage
Default Bariatric surgery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtrans View Post
Wow, surgery in Mexico? Full gastric bypass or a LapBand or sleeve gastrectomy? In a clinic vs a hospital? Personally I would never do that. A lot of people these days have ins coverage for this procedure but I wouldn't think so in Mexico. In my case I had a lot of hoops to jump through before my surgery (some required by my surgeon and some required by the ins company) which included monthly visits to the surgeon, nutritionist, family doc and psychologist for 6 months. Bariatric surgery is an invasive procedure and is not for everyone. You have to be healthy enough, desirous of the procedure and fully informed of what to expect immediately afterwards and for months and years after the procedure. Again I'll state that the procedure (full gastric bypass) should be done at a center of excellence and by a surgeon who can tell you how many he has done. I am 7 years out but it wasn't easy and I was pretty sick right after the surgery so I don't know how this could be done in a clinic. I was in the hospital 4 days. Hat happens if you have a complication and you are in Mexico? I spoke to TweetyBird by phone and anyone who is thinking of having this procedure should PM me and I would be happy to discuss my experience and everything it entailed.

Both LapBand and full bypass. At the time I lived in Vegas he was also the medical director of a LV hospital Center of Excellence. My understanding is that some Mexican "clinics" are basically small hospitals.