View Single Post

Old 03-24-2015, 06:36 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2012 View Post
Well since we’ve been here we had no interest in enclosing the Lanai, but recently changed our mind.

Been reading several threads here and thought I would post my opinion and finding of my research in this type of renovation.

Those that know my posts know I’m a big advocate of solar and a handy DIY “do it your self’r”.

Two weeks ago CVS came over showed the rep what I wanted, knew little about construction techniques, they said too complicated the way I wanted it done???? I guessed I asked too many questions. Like what kind of glass do you offer, what the specs.

He had a total miss understanding of the building code which I learned after speaking with the inspector in person at the building department later on.
For instance if you want to remove the slider you have to raise the floor, not true in most cases. I needed permits’ and inspections costing $1500-2,000, building dept said $107.

Next Custom windows, they had an interesting way of quoting, details didn’t matter they took rough measurements threw out a number of $22,000….ouch, asked how they figured that didn’t get a straight answer, so I said that figure means you’re charging $75 a sq ft for the windows (they did know a little about glass I’ll give them that) but they said if I didn’t want aluminum that’s what wood frames cost. So what does aluminum cost ?$10,000, notice the big round dollar quotes here.

One thing I’ll explain there are two rules in closing in the Lanai 1 don’t use aluminum, 2 read rule one!

Aluminum acts as heat sink by that I mean in the cold weather it transmits the cold temp indoors, just put your hand on it, it’s like hanging ice cubes in the room you’re try keep warm. In the warmer season esp summer it gets very hot almost can’t touch it. So it heats the space.

If you have heat and A/C you compensate by using more energy, if it’s not conditioned space you don’t use it.

To avoid this you should use wood or wood encased in pvc or vinyl, you can feel the difference in surface temps big time.

Next is the glass tempered has nothing to with your comfort, it’s only for safety and required by code if the glass panel in greater than 9 sq ft, none of the contractors knew that size requirement, they said that only if the glass in near the floor, incorrect. The types of glass I believe (and several engineers at 3 glass manufactures I spoke with) is the best in this zone are two low-e versions, not just Low-e, there are about a dozen types some don’t help here, the primary one on the market in the US is Low-e 366, it will keep heat in during the cold temps and heat out when it’s hot.

If you’re not sure what you have look at the glass it stamped in one of the corners. The other version that came on the market since 366 now is 340. The 340 will work better blocking heat out on south and especially west facing windows, east is fine with 366, south is a tossup either will do great.
I plan on using 366 east & south 340 on the west to block that afternoon sun when it gets hot.
If your lanai faces north or east 366 will be good, if the long side faces west it needs 340.

So those types of glass with wood frames will give you the most comfort. In fact if you face south or near to it you will heat the lanai slab heating the concrete and with sliders open add heat into your home.

Also spoke to Elite, knows about glass but….was hard to get specifics, didn’t get a warm fuzzy feeling never gave a quote.
Terry siding aluminum they only do aluminum, you know my opinion there if you don’t care about what I said he does good work around here on vinyl siding etc.

I made a decision after wasting my time with contractors here to again take on a project myself.

Costs about $400 for an architect to draw up plans tomorrow & $100 for the permit, the solar glass mentioned above costs about $2200, I’ll make the wood frames about $500 in wood plus my time, my target is less then $4000 with other items insulation etc. Our lanai is about 1000' but only closing in the part which is 22' X 14 x 12 90" high for the glass.
Two french doors one at each end, so we still have plenty of screened lanai left.

I realize a business has overhead but over $22,000 for the similar thing….

Last point I visited several neighbors that had enclosed theirs, it was late in the afternoon their rooms was very warm facing S SW too warm to be comfortable, they all had shades on all windows and one was open they had double glass but it had no solar coatings.

Great post! We desided to go with just zipper shades for sun and weather control. They were over priced but get the ob done nicely!