View Single Post

Old 01-30-2008, 02:55 AM
Default Re: LEAVING THE FAMILY

:bigthumbsup:
Fumar,
Very, very funny! Life is too short to worry, vascillate and take things so seriously. If our ancestors didn't move away from family none of us would be here!
Personally, my parents would never have left their home town, regardless, and that was the right decision for them. But to those undecided who may really want to make the move, did you ever consider that if you never leave the kids, they may eventually want to move and feel that after all you did for them, now they can't leave you?
Hubby and I were single parents for a long time before we met and married 8 years ago. He raised 7 kids on his own, I raised 2. We've got 13 grandkids between us, and perhaps out of necessity all of our kids are very independent, yet close.
Of course when we first told them our plans (both about getting married 8 yrs ago and just this past year moving to The Villages from NY) a few were really surprised, but they've adjusted.
One of the first words of advice my husband gave me when I was worried about what now looks like a minor problem with one of the kids was "They'll get over it!" And he was right, they did and are very happy for us now.
You can live next door and not be close. We are thankful that we talk frequently and visit with all the kids, from Spokane, WA to Ithaca, NY. And while we've only been residents for 2 weeks, we already have 4 of our kids (plus grandkids) scheduled to visit in the next 3 months.
Regardless of where you go I have the feeling you'll also remain close.
Good luck in your decision making!